Speech-Language Pathologist and Myofunctional Therapist
B.A., California State University-Fullerton, 1993
M.S., Communication Disorders, University of Redlands, CA, 1995
CCC, American Speech-Language Hearing Association
MD/PA licensed Speech-Language Pathologist
A speech-language pathologist for over 22 years, "Miss Kim" founded SPEECH PATHways in 1999. Kim is very active in the Maryland Speech Language and Hearing Association (MSHA). Recipient of the 2002 award for service to MSHA and the profession of speech-language pathology, she began a 3-year term on the MHSA Executive Board in 2007 and served as President in 2008/2009. In 2015, she was elected as Private Practice Director for the second time. She was President-Elect of MSHA in 2012. Kim developed and coordinated the Private Practice Track for the annual MSHA convention from 2007 through 2011. A former faculty member at Towson University, Kim guest lectures there in addition to speaking at various community and professional seminars. Kim is also a member of the American Academy of Private Practice in Speech Pathology and Audiology.
Kim earned her tenth ASHA Award for Continuing Education (ACE) in 2015, reflecting her concerted, personal effort to continue professional learning beyond an academic degree. The ACE Award acknowledges her dedication to education and the development of exemplary programs through SPEECH PATHways. Kim was also the 2009 recipient of the Fellow Award of the Maryland Speech-Language-Hearing Association (MSHA), which is bestowed upon a MSHA member in recognition of outstanding professional achievement.
Kim has worked in settings ranging from acute care, home-care, skilled nursing, outpatient rehabilitation, early intervention/Infants and Toddler Programs, to public and private schools, universities and private practice. She has extensive experience evaluating and treating patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics. An SLP for over 22 years, Kim's expertise is called upon by associations, agencies, and individuals.
Kim's many certifications include:
- Hanen Certified SLP for the “It Takes Two to Talk” Program
- Rhythmic Entrainment Intervention (REI)
- The Listening Program Provider (ABT CP-TLP)
- Fast ForWord
- Compton P-ESL (accent reduction program)
- Joseph Garcia’s “Sign with Your Baby” program
- Certified Interactive Metronome Provider
- Lively Letters
- Simon Says Programs:
- Tongue Tips (A Tongue Thrust Remediation Program)
- Thumbs Up! (Thumb Sucking Elimination Program
Highlights of her extensive training include:
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Advanced Training PODD (Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display)
- Michelle Garcia Winner's "Social Thinking"
- Nuero-Developmental Treatment (NDT)
- PROMPT (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Motor Targets) — "Level 2 Trained"
- The Kaufman method
- Pam Marshalla’s methods
- Boshart’s methods
- The Lee Silverman Voice Treatment Program (LSVT)
- "Talk Tools" Heirarchies (Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson)
- Brain Gym
- ABLC (Affect-Based Language Curriculum)
- The Lidcombe Program of Early Stuttering Intervention
- Alert Program
- Pre-Literacy/Early Literacy Skills
- Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT)
- SCERTS Verbal Behavior/Applied Behavioral Analysis
- The P.L.A.Y. Program
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
Kim is an active mother to two busy teenagers and a college student! She became a speech-language pathologist because she wanted to work in a "helping profession." Kim loves working with children and adults and enjoys the diversity and challenges she encounters with each client. She takes pride in offering client services with a personal and family-centered touch.